An analog life

Still partying like it's 1999

2006-02-10

The sun makes everything better ...



Today was an absolutely GORGEOUS day, and although I am pretty stressed about finding work, I felt lucky to be outdoors this afternoon, and considered a career in landscaping instead of publishing. Sunshine! Such a rare commodity here in winter, and so uplifting. I walked into town along the Thames, watching Oxford rowers practicing and all the swans, ducks and geese (including some Canada geese!). I found a cafe that was actually quiet to sit and read for a bit (it's usually all hustle and bustle and lots of tourists in the center of town). Near the High Street I finally found gluten-free bread for Jeff, which, assuming it's palatable, will provide respite from the ubiquitous "jacket potato," just about his only option these days.

Although walking around the colleges makes me feel old, I can't help but smile at the students running about in navy blue Oxford sweats with lacrosse sticks (do you call them sticks or racquets or bats? What kind of Canadian am I?) and cricket bats, or riding about on bicycles. It seems like a pretty fun place to be at school. The soccer, er, football fields are really well groomed and completely green even at this time of year. I longed to go out and kick a ball around. Compared to the fields we played on in Toronto, these are a dream! If only I could bring the whole Panic squad over. There's a great selection of post-game pubs to entice!

Anyway, today I was glad to be here and to be unemployed. But next week I start applying to jobs, now that I have an address for my CV. I've found a few postings that interest me, though I've no idea what my chances are.

The photos are of the 800-year-old Norman church (mentioned previously) and of rowers on the Thames.

(Happy birthday - yesterday - to the lovely and amazing Sarah Natasha! And to Benjamin, who is now nine months old!)

3 Comments:

At 12:51 PM, Blogger lightmatic said...

The sun does make everything better ....so do you

 
At 12:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

When the Sun Goes Down

 
At 10:23 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laura, it's Gaby. Your blog is very inspiring. It makes me want to do something similar. I have been trying a photo a day and it would be satisfying to post it with captions.

I enjoy hearing about what you are doing and even more, what you are thinking and feeling. What a great way to keep in touch.

And.. its amusing and interesting. Maybe the blog is the start of a book - "Oxford Ways".

Looking forward to the next installment.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home