An analog life

Still partying like it's 1999

2006-02-07

Pros and cons

Exciting discoveries:

Cider! On tap! At every pub!

This TV show called "In the thick of it", which I've just seen the once but which is a riot. I think it's about a cabinet minister. Whatever, it's funny.

Used books are cheaper than I expected, given that new books are more expensive than in Canada. Not a bad selection, either.

A nice variety of lunch places around town, which is a relief given my memories of the limited (and expensive!) options in Edinburgh eight years ago.

The village a short walk down the road from where we're staying right now (not exactly central Oxford, as it turns out). It's a perfect little village, with thatched roofs, a couple of local pubs/inns, windy lanes with stone walls and vines, a meadow beyond, an old toll cottage for boats on the river, a school house, and a Norman church that was built in 1175. Get your head around that! 1175! And apparently the outside has hardly been altered. Only a shortish bus ride from the center of Oxford, and there's this bucolic oasis. I'd post photos but I've left the camera at our temporary digs. I am sad that we'll be moving away from the area, because while impractical without a car, it's a lovely spot. Not touristy, either.



Things I dearly miss:

Decent water pressure in the shower. I don't know if it's that I can't get all the conditioner rinsed out, but my hair has been DREADFUL since I got here. I may have to give up on long hair.

My favorite suede boots and shoes. In one of those utterly irrational moments I always have when packing, I thought to myself "enh, Britain, rains all the time, can't wear suede." Then I get here, and not only has it not rained, but the country is in a drought of rather fearsome proportions. Everyone is wearing groovy suede boots.

Being able to access my money without elaborate planning.

Dressing for the weather without feeling spectacularly unhip. (More about Oxford fashions another day.)

Having a plethora of cafes around that are open into the evening. It's all about the pubs here. Not a bad thing, but sometimes you're just in a cafe mood ...

3 Comments:

At 11:07 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

that's hilarious! one of the things i love about the UK (and the left coast, for that matter) is that my hair and skin look soooo much better thanks to the soft water and high humidity. Soft water=lack of calcium=easier to lather and harder to rinse out. So yes, use less conditioner (maybe try a 2-in-1, a lighter conditioner, or condition every other time you wash your hair), as well as less shampoo, and less product (it will also not rinse out as easily so builds up quickly). Lush makes a bar of shampoo (yes, a bar) called "Soft" for soft water. I've never tried it (I'm hooked on Nioxin for life), but I've seen it in-store... maybe something to try?

 
At 6:25 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Actually, the water here is very hard. Lots of calcium and other minerals that make hair feel sticky and look dull. Soft water actually rinses out more easily than hard water. I would LOVE to have soft water. You're lucky!

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hmmm, must be solely the humidity then. or regional differences; i seem to not recall a big difference between Van and Chester. You'll see what i mean about not rinsing out if you visit in Van (hmm, hmm) - it's like your hands are still slippery and you can't get the soap off them. Drove me crazy when i first moved there because i was afraid to stick my hands in my eyes to get my contacts in or out. I just assumed the coastal rainy regions would use a greater proportion of surface water (usually soft)... well, so much for the advice. i got nothin' for hard water :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home