An analog life

Still partying like it's 1999

2006-01-22

Finds of the day

The archaeological dig continues, and these are some of the more interesting things I've recently discovered (and in most cases tossed):

Exclamation! perfume. Rather unpleasant stuff. Brings back memories of hairspray, frosted pink lipgloss and, er, tapered jeans. Yes, those were the 80s. Also: Cover Girl Navy perfume (which I could never wear again after accidentally blinding myself with it for about two days ... the agony was truly unbelievable), Body Shop Strawberry, and Love's Baby Soft Musk. Did every twelve or thirteen-year-old girl wear this kind of stuff, or did I just read too many YM magazines? (Before I discovered Sassy and punked out. Heh.)

Half-finished Home Economics and Shop Class projects. Most notably a sad little polar bear with an inexplicable bow tie and no legs. Also, a scary eyeless "cat" made out of stocking, and a grizzly bear engraved on a copper sheet, and framed in burlap, which could only look good hanging on a fake-wood-panelled wall next to a collection of dead animal heads. Actually, it should be in one of Douglas Coupland's setups in Souvenir of Canada.

A list, which I THINK is in Dave's handwriting, detailing the fallout from a particularly grumpy day in 1995 (I know, hard to believe I have grumpy days):

Laura's Hit List Part One: Things of Great Badness (in no specific order):
Sheryl Crow
Shabba Ranks
Ricki Lake
Postmodernism
Alanis [ed.'s note: pre Jagged Little Pill, which I still hated]
Full House [the Everybody Loves Raymond of the 80s]
Watermelons
Screechy Soundgarden
Testosterone Rocker Bands

I also found some truly awful poetry and stories, including one written entirely in French by several authors, judging by the handwriting. And further evidence that being creative and possessing genuine artistic talent are two very different things. Ahem.

3 Comments:

At 5:19 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Hey, Melissa!

You totally strike me as someone who would have been a Sassy girl. (That's a good thing!) I found some old outsized band t-shirts and, inspired by you, considered doing something arty with them. However, I don't think I'm that crafty ...

 
At 6:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wa-hoo! I just figured out how to leave comments on this thing...and all to say what a FAB idea! But it would be hard to cut up my old Grapes of Wrath shirts...

 
At 8:10 PM, Blogger Laura said...

That black Grapes of Wrath shirt was pretty cool, in particular! :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home