An analog life

Still partying like it's 1999

2006-02-09

Getting the ducks in a row

We have a flat! We have a flat! We have a flat! At least, we have a signed tenancy agreement and plans to move in on Saturday. That pretty much guarantees it, right? The fact that the flat is still advertised in the Oxford Gazette today is a bit worrisome, but we have no reason to think we're being taken for a ride.

We both have pending bank accounts now. The bank was incredibly disorganized so we don't have everything settled as we should (they COULDN'T FIND either type of card anywhere at the branch and will have to post them to us). Which means we still can't sign up for phone or internet until next week. I can only get the most basic of accounts and no credit card until I get a job, so hopefully I can upgrade down the road. I refused to get a joint account or to acknowledge any financial dependence, which may have been foolhardy depending on how long it takes to find work, but my pride has been hurting a bit lately.

I went to a get-together for spouses or partners of people working at the university yesterday. It turns out that almost everyone was the wife of a distinguished professor here as a visiting scholar, who won't be working and who participate in garden tours and such things during the weekdays. Nobody was struggling to find accommodation (visiting professors are put up in style, it seems), nobody was worrying about how much everything costs here, nobody was going to be here as long as I am. I'm the same age as many of their children, and the few who looked about my age had small children of their own. And it felt a bit demoralizing that the only question people asked was "what college is your partner at?" or "what does your partner do at the university?"

I miss my life. I suppose it has only been a week. It feels like so much longer ...

2 Comments:

At 10:52 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

A place to live! Now you have a home...miss you already. Ben's 9 months today!

 
At 11:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats! And bah-humbug to the ladies who lunch. I mean if a person can't think of any interesting small talk to make with another person who just moved 5000km to a new country, they obviously have poor conversation skills. I would also refer you to the following article from yesterday's Globe and Mail: http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20060208.wdepress0208/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/home
You can always remark about how pleased you are to get to have this experience while you are still young and to experience the city/country as a local instead of a tourist. So, how about some pictures of the new digs (when you get set up, of course)?!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home