An analog life

Still partying like it's 1999

2006-03-28

Yikes.

I have been forced to commemorate my thirtieth birthday by making a very adult decision (though calling my parents several times in tears means I haven't yet learned to make adult decisions in an adult fashion). I have just done the first pro-active thing EVER in my career, and possibly my life. I've turned down a job.

Big deal, right? Well, it IS, since I've never done it before. I've always floated along, taking whatever comes my way. I've been lucky in the opportunities that HAVE come my way. But this round of job-hunting is the first prolonged career-related challenge I've ever had. (Other than that one dreadful summer in high school during which both Tim Horton's and Value Village had to let me down gently. Possibly because of my baseball analogies.) It's the first time things haven't come relatively easily, and the first time I've had to think hard about what I want to do long-term, since I'm no longer fresh out of school.

So when, after having been turned down for a couple of positions, I interview with a good company, with nice people and a location that means I can walk to work, and those people really like me, my bruised ego just wants to go where the love is, even though the job is kind of entry-level and involves the parts of my last job that I liked the least. I'm a cautious and insecure person. It's hard for me turn down the sure thing in hopes of getting something I feel more passionate about. Something that allows more hands-on involvement with the material, more creative opportunities. Something that is closer to, or more likely to lead to, a dream job.

But I took a risk. I turned down what could well be the only job I'll get in the next six months. I thought it would be a fast and straightforward phone call, but they tried to change my mind. Once I'd opened the door, though, I had to keep my resolve and back out or I would only look more like a flake. So I did. And now I feel ill. I don't know if I've taken a step toward becoming an adult with a sense of direction, or whether I've made an enormous mistake.

12 Comments:

At 11:31 AM, Blogger Her Highnessness said...

You deserve more than taking what happens to come along. If you didn't feel right about the job then you made the right decision. An amazingly scary decision, but the right one.

You've started your thirties by refusing to compromise. I think it bodes well for the decade to come. Never settle and the things you really deserve will happen. They will.

Oh, and happy birthday La!

 
At 12:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!! -T2

 
At 1:09 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"HAPPY 30TH LAURA"!! Just in case the snail-mail card didn't make it, I'm sending the cyberspace type.

Got your postcard yesterday. I have been to Oxford once, and you're right ... the pc photo doesn't do it justice. It was more impressive 'in person', than even seeing it in various movies.

Have a great day. Of course, easy for me 2 say, but don't worry about landing the job. We're SO sure you will end up with something that really suits your goals.

Much Love ... Aunt Mem
(Michael & Jordan)

 
At 2:47 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Happy Birthday Laura! Thanks for making me feel younger :) ... Also, I am very proud of you for turning down the job. That's something I have always dreaded and I've gone so far as to not apply for certain positions just so I wouldn't be put into that situation! WAY TO GO!

 
At 6:20 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congratulations on your coming of age, Laura (that's the new meaning of thirty, I hear) and for turning down a job that definitely wasn't right for you. That bodes well for the decade ahead - you made the right decision and all of us are proud of you for it.

Richard

 
At 10:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Sorry about the belated. It is practically becoming a tradition between us.
Congratulations on reaching the end of another decade. *smile*
People are already mocking me about my impending day.
Good luck with the hunt and don't be discouraged during the wait for the right employment.

 
At 10:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Might help if I mention who I am?

All the best,

Michael

 
At 5:33 PM, Blogger Laura said...

I'd have known who you were, Michael, because of the articulate comment! ;)

Thanks so much everybody for the encouragement and birthday wishes. I sure do miss y'all!

(And I did get the snail mail card, Aunt Mem! Thanks! :) )

 
At 10:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As someone who is a working a job that is exceedingly below my mental capacity, I applaude you. Let me tell you, once you get into the soft warm cushions or financial certainty its borderline impossible to make any decisions that have even a semblance of integrity attached. You need to have the fear, you have it, I want it, after the next paycheque I swear!

 
At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

oh and happy birthday, i hope you went to the British version of Vegas, what is that anyway?

 
At 4:19 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Blackpool, probably!

 
At 3:53 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, you goof. You know that you are talented, bright, skilled and have a great personality. Of course you'll find a great job.

Gaby

 

Post a Comment

<< Home