An analog life

Still partying like it's 1999

2006-03-23

When endorphins are not enough

Last night I went out for soccer training with a local club. It was quite scary, and not just the dark alley I walked down when trying to find the field. As the “newbie” I had all the same insecurities of going to a party at which I knew nobody, and I felt great pressure to prove myself. I needn’t have worried, however, as I distinguished myself right away by nearly passing out in the warm-up run. Then, to my horror, some extremely fit and enthusiastic guy ran up and announced we’d be starting the drills. DRILLS? I haven’t run soccer drills since I was nineteen! Nobody mentioned drills! To me, “soccer training” means going out for an easy scrimmage followed by lots of beer, as everybody on my Toronto team can confirm. But there’s nowhere to hide in a soccer drill. You can’t stop to walk, you can’t sub off, you can’t lie down on the field.

The first drill involved everyone running around continuously (!), half the group with a ball and half without, and if you didn’t have a ball you had to call for a pass every time a whistle was blown. I didn’t know anyone’s name, and quickly discovered that “you in the shorts!” and “you with the ponytail!” caused nothing but confusion. People took off layers as they got warmer, so suddenly the bright orange fleece I’d learned to associate with “Katie” or the navy sweatpants that meant “Leslie” disappeared, sending me back to square one. And if you stopped running, you got yelled at! Everyone learned MY name pretty fast.

For drill number two – practicing getting away from a defender and looking for a pass – the trainer made the mistake of using me in the demo. On the fourth attempt to show everyone how it was done (yes, it took that many before I began to get the hang of it), I completely wiped out in the kind of position that elicits involuntary “ouches” from bystanders. I wanted to be swallowed up by the Astroturf. I eventually discovered that the best way to get away from the trainer dude (he was the defender marking me) was to step on his foot really hard, deliver a hip-check while he was immobilized, and then flee to the open space. What, this isn’t hockey?

By the time the drills finished I was practically coughing up blood. We were allowed some water, and I thought to myself, “Right, it’s finally over, I’ve survived, and I’ll never ever do this again.” THEN the scrimmage started. I managed to ignore the ominous pains in my knees, ankles, lower back, feet, shoulders, hell, EVERYWHERE, and actually made some good plays. I was feeling pretty chuffed when the practice ended, having redeemed myself somewhat. But then, when my brain was starved of oxygen and everything was a blur, a woman shoved a piece of paper and a pen at me and forced my frostbitten fingers to clumsily sign, and I realized too late that my showing-off in the scrimmage had the heinous result of convincing them I should join the team and do this EVERY WEEK.

Today I hurt all over. And they’d better finish those bathroom tiles SOON because I really need a shower!

-------------------------
This past weekend we went for a walk on the Port Meadow. It was windy, and people were sailing on the Thames River. It looked odd from a distance …


5 Comments:

At 8:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, we've had such a harried day here today (well, by our standards anyway) that your account of your football practice has left me in hysterics. We had our cleaner, then the a crew of eight roofers (few of whom speak English), then our financial planner - and I have two projects just getting underway. Your accounts of your days - and two glasses of wine - have turned my day around. I really enjoy your blog and your sense of humour. I'm ok if you go slow on the puns, though (with apologies to your Dad).

We're proud both of you and of Jeff.

Richard

 
At 10:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura - love your writing. Brings back memories of a lovely visit to Oxford years ago (BC - before Chelsea that is!)

The little sailboat you have photographed is a Mirror Class dinghy - a noble attempt by the London Daily Mirror to bring the joys of sailing to the masses back in the days when you were merely a twinkle in your father's eye. Wayne and I ordered a kit ($200 bucks) and built one in our garage on Chelsea road. Lovely to see one again.

Hope you don't mind a senior citizen signing on, but we do miss you over here!

Ann

 
At 7:43 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Hi Ann! It's lovely to hear from you! I certainly miss all you lovely folks back home, and I'm gutted not to be there for all the excitement leading up to the wedding! (Though I'm still hoping to be at the actual event ...) I'm glad to know a bit more about those boats. A few had Laser sails, but the others were a mystery to me. They're nifty little things! I hope everything is well with you and Wayne.

And Richard, I hope all the roofing gets done soon without further hassle. Good luck with the projects, too. Glad to hear someone got some enjoyment from my soccer trauma! :)

 
At 9:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Laura,
Sorry I missed your birthday but I
just realised how I could contact you, so belated Happy Birthday!
I am really enjoying your blogs.
I hope you are keeping a record of them -they are hilarious, and
if you don't get a job soon,
consider writing a book of your experiences in the Misty Isles -
It'll be a best seller!! Love, Grandma Mac.

 
At 12:15 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Hi Grandma!

Thanks for stopping by, and for the birthday wishes. It's nice to know people are reading this. I hope you had a great time down under ... I can't wait to hear about your adventures!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home