An analog life

Still partying like it's 1999

2006-03-14

We're in the city

We took the train into London on Saturday. The only hassle was getting to the station in Oxford, since the transit system here is bafflingly incomplete. The closest we can get to the train station is a ten-minute walk away. Anyway, it's otherwise a short and easy trip for weekend jaunts. (I should acknowledge that it would NOT feel like a short and easy trip every weekday morning and evening, Christina!)

We've suddenly started missing the big city atmosphere ... things like markets, varieties of inexpensive restaurants, streets full of people, tall buildings. Oxford is lovely, but kind of slow. And now, after only one day, I have fallen head over heels in love with London again. It is reportedly the largest city in Europe, which means it's pretty much impossible to explore it all. You can walk for miles and miles and miles, and absorb the subtle and not-so-subtle differences between the various neighborhoods. Like experiencing several cities in a day. We got off the train at Paddington, and had great Indian food in Bayswater. Then we walked through Hyde Park, past Marble Arch, along Oxford Street, past the posh shops on Bond Street and Molton Street, down Carnaby Street, through Soho, Chinatown, Leicester Square, Covent Garden (we had dinner nearby in perhaps the tiniest Thai restaurant ever), and ended at Charing Cross, where we hopped onto the Tube to return to Paddington. We didn't shop, we didn't go to museums, we just walked. That was all I wanted to do, and even though it was incredibly cold it was a great day. The city didn't feel nearly as touristy as I expected even in the most touristy of areas (and yes, I was a tourist myself, I admit it). At Covent Garden, there were bachelorette parties and families and couples on dates and people reading the newspaper ... just like any other bustling city on a Saturday. The main thoroughfares were packed with people, but then you turned a corner and found a quiet side street. I felt particularly at home among the street vendors, dingy used record stores and chip shops in parts of Soho, because it reminded me a bit of Kensington Market in spirit. Gentrified Kensington Market, anyway. But we only covered a minute fraction of London, and there are really cool neighborhoods all over the city. Those who have lived or spent time in London, what are your favorite off-the-beaten-track areas? (Or on-the-beaten-track ... I'm not a snob!)

Perhaps if I lived there, in a shoebox-sized flat a lengthy tube ride away from where I had to go to work every day, I'd feel a little less romantic about London. But right now I'm looking forward to going back.

Anyway, here are some photos.





Yes, that was an intentional Saint Etienne reference in the title (they are always my soundtrack to London). Lucky Soul are being touted as their successors to the London pop crown. I can think of a few people who probably heard them months ago and already have tickets to their show at Lee's! Heh heh. Just kidding ... I don't think they're touring yet.

3 Comments:

At 9:01 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Saint Etienne....nice:).....

JA
http://www.saintetiennedisco.com
(blatent promotion of my site)

 
At 11:30 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

haha i was gonna say josh was gonna spaz over that

 
At 12:50 PM, Blogger Laura said...

Cool web sites! I'll definitely be checking them out regularly for education in British pop/rock.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home