An analog life

Still partying like it's 1999

2006-02-21

Every day is like Sunday. (Seriously -- I'm unemployed!)

I'm watching "The Cure Live in Berlin" on VH2, my new favorite channel. And I'm realizing I don't listen to them much anymore. I still think they're grrrreat (if you ignore the last three albums), but it's hard to listen to music that so vividly recollects my disaffected youth (smile). I remember sitting in the back seat of the Volvo on family trips or on the way to tournaments, plugged into my walkman in order to be as uncommunicative as possible. Daydreaming about Robert Smith rescuing me from school, sports practices, the suburbs. Or taking the looooooong way home after music theory class just so I could play mixed tapes super loud on the car stereo (you can only crank the volume so high in a split-level house). Or long nighttime country drives with friends, because there wasn't anywhere to go in Kingston when you're seventeen and they're cracking down on underagers at the bars.

I was almost imagining that the VH2 programmers had raided my music collection. Then I realized that I got into all those bands by reading British music magazines, in particular the late, lamented Select magazine. Well, duh. It only makes sense that the programming on the thirtysomething version of British music television reflects my tastes. I'm such a cliche. (The video for "There is a Light" by The Smiths makes me want to wear black-framed specs and ride my bike around Manchester with Morrissey. Sigh.)

I give you my much-missed hometown bedroom (hardwood floors, dontcha know), with posters unchanged since 1994. Yes, those are medals on the bulletin board. I was a decorated athlete in my youth.



So anyway, do they have Cappuccino-flavoured Pepsi Max in Canada? Because I could swear I just saw a commercial for it. Somebody should be fired for that idea.

Still no job, still no bank account, but I now have a Brita water filter which, while too big for our teeny tiny British fridge, will nonetheless improve my standard of living considerably.

Cheerio!

7 Comments:

At 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had the exact same Joy Division and Cure posters on my wall back in the day.ahhhh...being 16 again......but really its all about reliving the chain right now

 
At 10:14 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hmmm, well I had the Boys Don't Cry postcard up on my wall, but a Stone Roses poster, and I still do not have a Brita. But, I do now have a ticket to see the new synth-pop-goth band that's been my guilty pleasure for the past month or so! They are not in the slightest bit innovative but just plain ol' good at putting together a catchy morose melody and ambivalent emotional lyrics (in my humble opinion). And they are, miraculously, actually coming to Victoria (where local clubs and music categorically SUCK). Apparently the show is poised to sell out - so I'm wondering who is buying all the tickets and if I'll be older than the rest of the crowd by 10+ years? I only wish you were here to come too - it's harder to revel in nostalgia without appropriate company (The good friend I have convinced to come with me is 22 and will almost certainly be wearing pink :)! [Alas, the show is on a Tuesday Evening, so I have no witty musical references.]

I looked for a 'congratulations on your bank account' card for you this afternoon (for when the time comes), but it's not looking good. -T2

 
At 10:26 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

not to clog up your comments space, but if you are at all keen on underground hip-hop, we just got an *incredible* new CD by "DJ Format" -T2

 
At 7:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Heh, we should create a line of cards for just such occasions. Corina, if you're reading this, you can run the T-shirt line!

To the anonymous poster, am I meant to know what "reliving the chain" means? My brain has been on standby lately, so things have been flying over my head ...

 
At 12:54 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

JAMC...that chain

 
At 9:06 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Ah, yes, should have picked up on that. Indeed. Well worth revisiting, though mine is all on cassette in another country right now.

 
At 10:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

forget the brit pop posters, I love that neatly organzied row of medals hanging from your bulletin board! You're a champ!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home