An analog life

Still partying like it's 1999

2006-02-19

Getting my fix

I've been preoccupied with our new digital cable. Yes, we now have 160 channels. We only ordered about 30, because we're reasonable folks, but they forced six free months of the biggest and most expensive package upon us. To be honest, I'll be glad to go back to a more moderate selection, as long as we keep the Eurosport channel. But it's fun to live beyond our means for a while.

This means I'm now getting my Olympic fix. I can't seem to find good coverage of cross-country skiing, biathlon and speed skating, which are my favorites to watch, but the "snowboard cross" was COOL and I've caught some bobsledding, skeleton, hockey and ski jumping. (And curling ... Great Britain has medal hopes, so it's covered exhaustively ... yawn.) We also get really good music videos on MTV2 and VH2. Reasons not to leave the house when the sky is so dark and foggy.

Other than that, we've had a slow weekend. Last night while curled up in front of the TV I kind of forgot we were in England. I do like it here. But it still feels like a hiatus rather than real life. I assume that will change once I get back into the daily grind of work. Speaking of, I've applied for two jobs, and will apply for another two this week. I'm torn between pressure just to get any job and holding out for one that will feel like a progression. I found a posting for a month-long job moving a university library. Jeff thinks they won't hire a woman because they seem more traditional here, but I've got great credentials for hauling boxes of books.

I keep adding to the list of stuff I should bring back from Canada. Everything you'd buy in a pharmacy is expensive here ... I'm hitting up Shopper's Drug Mart and Sephora and filling a suitcase next time I'm home! And British Gas has just announced they're upping their bills by something like 22% in March. Imagine my delight. They have commercials on TV which basically say "yeah, we know that everyone else offers better rates and service, but it's better to just stick with what you know." Not the most compelling sales pitch. Our landlord didn't give us the chance to shop around, so I guess we're stuck for now. We'll see what the first bill looks like.

Back to the Olympics!

1 Comments:

At 1:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Oooh, I'm jealous. I rarely miss having TV except for those once-in-a-blue-moon times when I'm consciously trying to waste time AND when there are special events like the Olympics! Boardercross is one my favourites (along w/ halfpipe, most alpine skiing and hockey) - you can never predict what will happen and who will win. We're hoping to get tickets for it for Whistla (highly unlikely, but a girl can dream). Sounds like you're all set up :). -T2

 

Post a Comment

<< Home