An analog life

Still partying like it's 1999

2006-03-21

In praise of endorphins

Since I’m still in job-hunting purgatory, my days lack the structure I need in order to use my time productively. I don’t like scheduling every minute of the day, and I need more down-time than some people. But I get less done when I’m less busy. And if I don’t have an urgent reason to get going in the morning, it takes me hours of partial lucidity before I’m ready to tackle my to-do list. I need the jolting shock that comes from groggily peeking at my alarm clock and realizing I should have been out of bed half an hour ago. That was pretty much how every day of my working life began. It created the necessary momentum to career through the day’s tasks in panic mode. I know it’s not healthy, but with me it’s either that or a state of marginal consciousness and minimal activity. No in-between.

The one thing that has given me a shred of normalcy is the gym. I’ve joined one that’s only a five-minute walk from our flat. It doesn’t measure up to my last couple of gyms, but it’s not too bad. I never thought I’d get into weight training, being more of a team-sports person, but, inspired by my friend Natasha’s remarkable shoulders and the fact that once you figure out the equipment it’s very escapist, I’m a total convert. It’s nice just to focus on your body, and not worry about the problems running around in your mind. And do you ever see results! (Wow, I sound like an infomercial for BowFlex or something.) Gosh darn it, if I can’t be thin, I may as well be strong. I got the first incredulous look in a while from a man surprised at how much weight I can lift/press. I'm back in form! If only I could find a palatable protein bar in this country.

Maybe increased muscle mass is interfering with my thinking, though. All of a sudden I seem to be using a lot of jock-talk in the interviews I’ve had with recruiters and prospective employers. Like “pinch-hit” or “keeping my eye on the ball” or “out of the ballpark” (though not, thankfully, “giving 110%” – yet), and (North) Americanisms such as “the buck stops here.” I don’t normally talk like that, at least not when I'm trying to impress somebody. It’s as if encountering proper Britishness brings out the colonial roughneck in me. Things just fly out of my mouth and I have a sort of out-of-body experience, wondering, in horrified awe, “What am I SAYING?” I’m also currently in the perplexing position of hearing from recruiters that I should be applying for higher-up jobs (the kind where “the ideal candidate will have a law degree, a medical degree, and two years of teaching experience” – I exaggerate only slightly) when I haven’t yet been deemed worthy of the lower-down jobs I’ve already applied for. Probably because of my baseball analogies.

Anyway, we’ve had some good news. The success in our household has won a much-deserved research scholarship. It’s refreshing when talent and hard work are justly rewarded, and I’m very proud of him.

Things got even more exciting today when the tiles in the bath buckled with a loud crack while I was enjoying a nice warm shower. Flashback to Roxton Road! In some small way I’ve missed the regular calamity of living in an apartment which could collapse with the next rainfall, with pipes that quiver and groan ominously above your head and neighbours who may or may not be certifiably insane. Makes you feel alive, you know?

6 Comments:

At 1:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats Jeff! I knew he'd get it! Well, I hope you two take yourselves out for a nice dinner to celebrate!

 
At 6:48 PM, Blogger Rob said...

Congrats Bro! And keep on trucking Laura (another stupid american saying to use in your interviews!).

 
At 7:50 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Laura, I know just how you feel about the gym. Do you know that I have muscles in my arms? Real, honest to goodness muscles. I can even flex them. - Gaby

 
At 1:59 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ha! you've got great timing. Here I was sitting in front of my computer on my ass for the who's knows what'th day in row (since contracting the plague someime last week) polishing off a litre or so of frozen yogurt for dessert after my dinner of half a pound of candied salmon (no joke - I can't help it, they're both so tasty). Hopefully I can breathe like a normal human again soon so I can keep up my reputation!

Send my congrats to your boy!

 
At 11:02 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

"CONGRATULATIONS, JEFF"!

Loved your shots of London, Laura. Felt like I was right there, in the middle of things.

Guess your folks are catching the Florida rays now. (Hope it's not snowing!) Also hoping your Dad didn't get hauled in this time, for another 'security check'.

Much Love
-- Aunt Mem

 
At 11:37 AM, Blogger Laura said...

ls: Thanks! (on behalf of Jeff) I can think of a few people with those initials ... but in either case, thanks for stopping by!

Rob: Thanks for putting that expression in my head. I will almost certainly end up saying it in my next interview now! :)

Gaby: I was thinking of you when writing the post, and how much better you've said you feel after weight workouts! (You look great, too!)

Natasha, darling, it isn't a true pig-out if there is any nutritional value in what you consume. Talk to me when you've put away a pint of Ben and Jerry's or a large bag of potato chips! (But you won't, because you're admirably disciplined, and that's why you look like you do and I look like I do.)

Aunt Mem: Hi! Thanks for the congratulations. My family is indeed in Florida and taunting me with regular updates on the sunshine. Hope you're all well!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home