An analog life

Still partying like it's 1999

2006-03-16

But we still had to scrape our plates

We had dinner at Balliol College t'other night. Anyone else who regularly attended the Leonard cafeteria at Queen's will share my awe. The place was done up in mood lighting, the tables and floorboards bore the patina of centuries, portly dead white men stared down at you disapprovingly from portraits (except for a rather rakish young toff, the only one with hair that wasn't white, who looked a bit like a young Mordecai Richler from where I was sitting), and a giant stained-glass window faced a majestic pipe organ on the opposite wall. And this was only the junior dining hall. At the end of the room you can see the high table, where the chosen few are apparently served a far better meal than that available to the serfs below. I'd worry about being pelted with mushy peas, if I were them. Especially those with their backs to the floor.



I have to share my dad's response to the post in his honour:
"Nice to know that by chipping away at it, the pun would find a plaice in our hearts. Cod it be any batter? (I bet you smelt that coming, huh?)"
I have learned from a master.
(Mom, I'm sorry for yet again offending your refined sensibilities ...)

1 Comments:

At 1:46 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

so would i be correct in taking your reference to mushy peas as insinuating the reputation of bland english fare holds even at venerable oxford? too bad, though i bet it's interesting to experience the juxtaposition of crappy food and imperious decor. gives 'institutional' a whole new flavour.

so i've been trying out this new (to me, i'm sure i'm woefully behind) streaming audio thing called Pandora. You tell it a song or band and then it develops playlists of things it thinks you might like and you 'tune' it by giving it feedback about its choices. I'm still reserving judgment, but it's been interesting. www.pandora.com - in case you haven't tried it yet. -T2

 

Post a Comment

<< Home