An analog life

Still partying like it's 1999

2006-06-29

Early mornings = hideously cranky blogger

I'm all smiles and chuckles today. Somehow, without my having opened an attachment in eons, my entire Thunderbird inbox, containing all my emails over the past few years because I'm too dumb to make other folders, has been infected by the Netsky virus and may be lost for good. Cool, eh? I literally just weeks ago spent money buying an update from Symantec, and it regularly scans my folders, and since everything worked yesterday it must have either happened overnight (during which time my computer is not connected to power supplies or the internet) or be due to a new message which I never had a chance to open! I'm baffled. But all the virus program can do is tell me I have a virus. When I try to quarantine, quarantine fails. When I try to delete the infected file, deletion fails. It doesn't allow a manual deletion. I could have figured out just from the fact that my inbox froze up that it was infected. If antivirus programs can't shut the virus out and can't help me deal with it, they are a complete and utter waste of money.

But, again, how did it even get on my computer? I really do not open attachments. I delete anything remotely resembling spam. I've been taking the virus program's recommended actions whenever suspect files pop up. I am ready to rip someone's head off at Norton/Symantec. I actually gnashed my teeth in anger. It takes a lot to make me tooth-gnashing mad!

Of course, this is partly because I worked from 8 am to 7 pm yesterday, and I have to get up at 6:15 am tomorrow to be on a train to London for a conference. I'm tired, and I'm grumpy, and it's only going to get worse. I think Jeff is once again regretting ever agreeing to cohabitate.

And if you've sent me an email in the last little while, to my non-hotmail account, and you never hear back, now you know why!

1 Comments:

At 5:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like what you guys are up too. Such clever work and reporting! Keep up the superb works guys I have incorporated you guys to my blogroll. I think it will improve the value of my website :) [url=http://profvesti.ru/o-stroitelstve-bani.html]алтайский строительный портал[/url]

 

Post a Comment

<< Home