An analog life

Still partying like it's 1999

2006-05-03

Just what I needed after a long day ...

I'm trying to be open-minded about the differences here, mostly with success. But there is one thing I'm finding VERY hard to deal with. The British seem to think their nation is devoid of insect life, bird life, and small vermin in general, and that screens on windows are therefore unnecessary. I, however, beg to differ. Our little corner of this grassy isle is rife with unpleasantness of all kinds.

Because we are plagued with wall-to-wall carpet, our apartment perpetually smells kind of unpleasant to me. I thank my lucky stars I don't have asthma. But every time I have opened a window over the past few weeks, and I mean EVERY SINGLE TIME, some sort of ugly creepy crawly thing has dropped down onto the window ledge and scurried off, forcing me to hunt it down and eject (or squash) it before shutting the window again in resignation. It's a beautiful evening out there, and after walking home from work I decided, optimist that I am, to try one last time to bring that freshness indoors. I have been attempting to cohabit with all the small spiders that have taken up residence in our flat. (Ask my family or Jeff about my history with insects and you'll see that my general loathing of them is well justified.) But today, when I opened the kitchen window, the largest spider I have ever seen inside a place of human abode that wasn't a pet tarantula hit the windowsill with a horrifyingly loud THUNK and raced off along the counter. I'd swear the thing has muscle definition. I lost consciousness for maybe a second due to fright. Then I heroically grabbed a large clear plastic salad bowl and leapt forward to trap it. Now I sit, with shaking hands and a stiff drink at my side, regarding the confined beast of prey warily. It's too fast to try to put it outside, and it would take a shovel to kill it. I'm going to wait until Jeff comes home to deal with it, because, frankly, sometimes I'm just too much of a girl.

But the bigger problem is not so easily dealt with. I can't bear not opening windows. But I also can't bear giant mango-sized spiders, and when bugs do get into the house I inevitably wake up covered in welts. They love me. They really do. Our windows have antiquated latching systems that make it difficult if not impossible to just tack a roll of screen over the opening. You wouldn't be able to open the window. Not to mention that I'm guessing rolls of screen don't even exist in this country. Has anyone ever had the misfortune of being in this situation? Or can anyone offer advice?

And when can we move out?

4 Comments:

At 5:23 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Let me preface this by saying i've never actually tried it (there are no screens on BC apts, but no bugs other than spiders, which are tolerable because they eat other bugs (unless they reach your kind of gargantuan proportions), and bees/wasps/hornets/etc., which are totally intolerable but less common)... so: Vinegar on the window sills might repel the bugs. My theory is that if it kills plants and mould, and can be used to train dogs and cats to stay out of a room, maybe it is as repugnant to insect life as it is to plants and animals? It's cheap and easy enough to be worth a shot maybe? (Plus it's non-toxic and will make for good habit formation for the winter, when you'll need to do the windows and the laundry anyway). Good luck! And bottoms up. -T2

 
At 7:52 AM, Blogger Rob said...

Hi Laura! Sorry to hear about your bug problem! I sympathise heartily. We have screens in our windows but the smaller critters do get in and Jessi won't let me squish them (darn veggie-head!). I did some quick research and found this helpful looking article from About.com: Get Rid of Spiders Frugally. There are also more articles listed at the bottom which may be useful with other pests.

 
At 8:48 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

depending on the type of casement the window is in you could fashion a screen that fits the whole window casing, wouldn't look so hot and you would have to make it operable so you could swing it out to open the window, but it is the type of insane solution any guy would appreciate trying to build even if he failed misearbly at it.

 
At 11:53 AM, Blogger Her Highnessness said...

Try a Citronella plant. I know they naturally repell some insects and they smell all lemony and nice.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home