An analog life

Still partying like it's 1999

2006-04-26

Brain cells rotting ...

I miss all my books that are back in Canada! I haven’t really read for weeks. I’ve been dabbling in newspapers and magazines, but I normally have a stack of books by my bed (as well as shelves of them in every room of the apartment), and I’m usually reading anywhere from four to six at a time. Depending on my mood I’ll pick up whichever appeals to me at that exact moment. If I’m settling on the couch for an extended loafing session, I’ll bring at least five different things to read. I really like being spoiled for choice. I am also the kind of reader who doesn’t bother with the ending of a book if I’ve already got the gist of it, and I will skim (or skip!) entire chapters. I think the habit was formed as a result of having to plough through so many unsolicited manuscripts and drafts of books-in-progress at my old job … when you read all day at work, you become very choosy about your recreational reading matter.*

I spent two hours browsing in Borders today. I couldn’t find the particular books I wanted, but my goodness, the whole “chick lit” phenomenon seems to be even bigger here than in North America. There were entire shelves of pastel books by authors I’d never heard of, between which cowered comparatively muted Penguin Classics and literary fiction. A good fifty percent of the entire fiction section appeared to be light pink, mint green, sunshine yellow, or lavender, with curlicued typefaces and kitschy “fabulous girl” artwork of women in sunglasses and stilettos applying lipstick at a café table. I’ve read The Devil Wears Prada, and I’ll probably read The Nanny Diaries in a moment of weakness. But most of those pink books are probably crap. (Those with titles including the words “Yummy” and “Mummy,” for example.) I did eventually choose a book, largely because Ian Rankin appears as a character. I’ll let you know how it is. Has anyone read anything lately that they really loved?

The reason I was looking for reading material is that I’m embarking on a short trip. I’d tell you more but given my recent propensity for mishap, I’m going to wait until I successfully navigate the planes, trains and automobiles involved. Be back soon!

* I felt guilty about this until I came across Daniel Pennac’s “Reader’s Bill of Rights” from Better Than Life, a short but inspiring book.

3 Comments:

At 7:49 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Have a good trip Laura! Take lots of photos. Right now I'm reading Wuthering Heights. I am enjoying it, and am very surprised about the outright hatred the characters have for one another! Are people really that mean??? Still, it's a good book. I went hunting at Bookcrossing and told Lara where to look for a book and she found it! What fun...Anyway, take a photo of sheep for me! Leah

 
At 3:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ooh, I think I know the book you're talking about. His name escapes me, but it's the guy who writes the No. 1 Ladies Detective Agency books. They're great...let me know how the "Scotland Street" book (or whatever it is)...is.

 
At 7:31 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Lara must have moved fast to get the book. Where was it? That's really cool! I was just listening to the Wuthering Heights song by Kate Bush the other day. Yeah, it's kind of a depressing book, but compelling.

Andrea, let me know if/when you're in the area. It would be great to see you guys!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home