An analog life

Still partying like it's 1999

2006-10-30

Champagne lifestyle, beer budget

Thanks to Jeff's parents, who have just landed safely back in Canada after a wonderful visit, we spent the past weekend in a flat in Mayfair, London. I was in my very own Breakfast at Tiffany's heaven, a dream from which I am only grudgingly coming down to earth. We window-shopped on Bond St., I spent money on overpriced and frivolous but oh-so-lovely products from a few of my favorite places, and we had dinner at a Michelin-starred restaurant. Everything we wanted was within walking distance, which meant no underground trips (truly, the tube is about the only thing I loathe about London). Even better, for the first time since moving here we didn't have to return to Oxford at night. We could stroll around at our leisure as evening set in and the crowds dispersed, leaving a much more laid-back vibe.

Has anyone else read From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler? Well, replace the Met Museum with Liberty and I'm there. I'm ready to move in.


Then again, I've also read Secrets of the Shopping Mall, and mannequins can be pretty creepy after dark.

2 Comments:

At 5:26 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ahh...the five-star lifestyle! Tell me...are the mannequins alive in "Secrets from the Shopping Mall"? The cover makes it seem so...sort of like that tv show "Today's Special" but more sinister.

 
At 9:15 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Hmmm ... I think they did come to life, but whether they were mannequins or people pretending to be mannequins I can't remember. Wow, looks like the last reprint was in 1980. That sure dates me. I guess shopping malls have changed a bit since the seventies.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home