An analog life

Still partying like it's 1999

2008-05-04

Starbucks guilt

Have I mentioned that a Starbucks opened up across the street from the flat? This was initially a source of great excitement - though it's 7 pm closing renders it largely useless to me except on weekends. I popped in yesterday, and discovered that they have installed a 'Community Board'. I'm all for multinational chains investing in local neigbourhoods, but this one made me distinctly uncomfortable. Apparently Starbucks has donated 50 books to a local primary school. On the board were many photographs of children eating clearly-branded Starbucks products (hopefully not their industrial-strength coffee). And all around the board were hand-made thank-you cards from the children, addressed to 'Dear Starbucks'. Many of the children had tried to draw the Starbucks logo in green crayon.
As a North American I already feel a twinge of embarrassment when going into a Starbucks, knowing that I am proving myself to be a hopeless cliche. Now I feel guilty that not only has Starbucks gained a foothold in Summertown against the wishes of some residents, it is also impressing its consumerist yuppie land-of-excess faux-granola lifestyle upon very young British schoolchildren. I wonder if any of their parents would be horrified.
It's not as though companies haven't shamelessly marked to children before, and it's not as though there aren't loads of affluent faux-granola yuppies here, but still, I can't help but feel a bit dirty. A bit of innocence lost, or summat.
Anyway, I'll still be going for my chai lattes at weekends. Can't deny what I really am ...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home